I first tried a float tank a little over a year ago when one opened up here in Milwaukee. Several people told me it was one of those relaxing experiences that not only leave you feeling rested but helps clear your mind at the same time.
Since I was in the middle of some major growth for my business, I knew I needed to try it!
What is a float tank?
A “float tank” or sensory deprivation tank is literally a giant tub that is filled with salt water and ideally at the same temperature as our bodies. It is meant to be entirely soundproof and eliminates other senses so you’re left alone with your own idea of time to meditate.
5 Benefits of a float tank:
- Improved sleep: especially if you’re a business owner, you know those nights where sleep is nearly impossible to come by and it’s hard to maneuver around the ideas that are literally spinning inside your head. Floating for just 1 hour can help improve insomnia symptoms almost immediately!
- Reduces muscle tension and forces you to relax: let’s be honest, if you’re forced to sit and float in a tank for an hour, there’s not much else to do but relax. The salt in the water is created from epsom salt which naturally helps reduce muscle tension and soreness and in turn can keep you calm. This should also help with any pain you may have too (chronic headaches, maybe?) by releasing tension in the body.
- Helps ease anxiety: without guided meditation or focusing on your environment around you, it helps calm the nervous system and literally ease anxiety. When your body is relaxed and there’s not “fight or flight” reaction, it’s easier to manage symptoms of anxiety.
- Improve productivity: I’m sure you’ve heard “we all have the same hours in a day as Beyonce” but really how many of them are productive? With lack of sleep, business ideas running through our heads, among other things- productivity needs to be top of mind yet may come few and far between. Floating for just 45 minutes is said to ease stress related “brain fog” (you know that feeling) and ultimately increase productivity and symptoms related to an overstimulated mind!
- Feel more connected to your body on a psychological level: it’s easy to be on-the-go and eat and drink a little too much when you’re not fully connected to yourself internally. Eliminating general senses that may cause us to ignore our internal cues allows us to reconnect with our bodies and start to recognize what it needs more often!
At the end of the day, we’re a busy group of entrepreneurs, and we’ll take whatever we can get as far as rest and relaxation. It was a great experience to test out, and I’d highly recommend trying anything that will help put your mind in the right place to be a boss!